Rating:
No votes cast

Brushy Creek Bridge

Photos 

Elevation From Ne

Photo taken by Joseph E. Elliott for the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

BH Photo #313898

Map 

Description 

The Brushy Creek Bridge is a surviving example of a standard highway bridge used in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. It is a late example of pin-connected construction and is one of five remaining bridges employing a pin-connected Pratt through truss in Milam County.

-- Historic American Engineering Record

Facts 

Overview
Lost pin-connected Pratt through truss bridge over Brushy Creek on CR 398
Location
Milam County, Texas
Status
Replaced by new bridge
History
Built 1911; replaced 2000
Builders
- C. Q. Horton of Austin, Texas
- Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. of Chicago, Illinois
Design
Pratt through truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 112.9 ft.
Total length: 132.9 ft.
Deck width: 11.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.7 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+30.60528, -97.18889   (decimal degrees)
30°36'19" N, 97°11'20" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
14/673621/3387255 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Thorndale
Inventory numbers
TXNBI 171660AA0398002 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 42102 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 09/1989)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 23.4 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 1990)
190

Update Log 

  • January 16, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King

Sources 

  • HAER TX-59 - Brushy Creek Bridge, Spanning Brushy Creek at County Route 398, Thorndale, Milam County, TX

Comments 

Brushy Creek Bridge
Posted January 18, 2016, by David Galbreath (galbgen1942 [at] yahoo [dot] com)

This Brushy Creek Pratt Thru Truss Bridge was moved across Milam County on back roads to Wilson-Ledbetter Park and was put across the lake there in 1999.