The Truss span used for this bridge was originally erected in 1896 over the Brazos River on the Bryan - Caldwell Road in Brazos County. The span was relocated to its present Milam County site in 1940.
Meanwhile in Milam County the Faubion Bridge was located on an early route known as "Ramons Road" about a mile upstream from the present day Sugarloaf Bridge. It was the only crossing of the Little River in the area. After the Faubion Bridge fell into the river in December of 1937, Milam County hired the Austin Bridge Company to move one of the spans of the old abandoned Brazos River bridge and erect it here near the base of Sugarloaf Mountain.
Photo taken by JoeWilliams
BH Photo #208419