That bridge was destroyed by a Disastrous flood in 1941. With the scarcity of building materials during WWII, a hand-pulled ferry was in operation until 1946, when a pontoon bridge was constructed at the Rio Rico location. The pontoon bridge proved to be unsatisfactory and, in 1951, with Mexico's concurrence, construction of the first steel bridge was begun. The bridge was completed on July 22, 1952. The reasoning behind the move upstream was higher ground and a more appropriate bridge site.
Now there is a new bridge.
The Progreso/Nuevo Progreso International Bridge has been in operation at this location since 1952. During the first years of operation the bridge had relatively low crossings of pedestrians, automobile, and commercial traffic. When it opened, it was open 5:00 am to 12:00 pm. Toll was Southbound only. Beginning in the 70's, an increase in all three categories of crossing was seen.
The new bridge was completed in 2003 and has been an instant success. With it's broad covered walkways on each side the walk across has become a delight. Four lanes of traffic speed the flow of cars going either way. The soon to be opened truck bridge, located to the East side, will remove the heavy truck traffic and will make the crossing even more pleasurable.
Bridge traffic has been very substantial over the past decade, both Southbound and Northbound. Since 2000, about 1.25 million pedestrians cross the bridge each year. Another million cars make the Southbound crossing. Truck and tour bus traffic has also increased steadily. According to TXDOT-"The original bridge was constructed in 1951. The replacement bridges were built in phases as the old one was simultaneously demolished. The replacement bridges became operational in August 2003."