Carpenters Bluff Bridge
Photo taken by Jeff McNeiland
BH Photo #132058
Originally built as a railroad bridge for the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf (MO&G) Line. Completed in the late summer of 1910, the Carpenters Bluff Bridge was designed to withstand major floods such as the one in 1908 that had destroyed several area bridges. Its design also included a wagon shelf, an extra lane to serve travelers on foot and horseback, as well as horse-drawn vehicles, all of whom had to pay a toll for its use. In 1921, ownership passed to the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway Co., which maintained the line until 1965, when the company ceased operations in Texas due to declining rail traffic. The Texas & Pacific Railroad maintained the bridge for a brief time and then deeded it to the counties of Grayson and Bryan. County commissioners agreed to convert the structure for vehicular traffic, and upon completion of that work, the bridge was opened as a free public thoroughfare. (From Historic Marker)
- Through truss bridge over Red River on Carpenters Bluff Road (formerly KO&G RR)
- Grayson County, Texas, and Bryan County, Oklahoma
- Open to one lane traffic and includes a Wagon Shelf extension of South deck
- Future prospects
- Built 1910; Renovated for auto use 1965, rehabilitated 1981
- - Kansas, Oklahoma & Gulf Railway (KO&G)
- Missouri Pacific Railroad (MP; MoPac)
- Missouri, Oklahoma & Gulf Railway (MO&G)
- Texas & Pacific Railway (T&P)
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 195.9 ft.
Total length: 1,118.2 ft.
Deck width: 11.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 19.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- KO&G - Red River Bridge
MO&G - Red River Bridge
T&P - Red River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.75611, -96.41056 (decimal degrees)
33°45'22" N, 96°24'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/739842/3738127 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- TXNBI 010920AA0474001 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 33052 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 06/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 59.7 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- July 2, 2014: New photo from Beth Wieland
- April 30, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- April 30, 2014: New Street View added by Robert Elder
- April 29, 2014: Updated by Brad Smith: Counties building new Bridge. Makes keeping this one in place difficult from a historic perspective.
- February 5, 2013: Merged duplicate pages
- February 5, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Texas & Pacific Railroad", "Kansas, Oklahoma & Gulf Railway", "Rail-and-Road", "Rail-to-road", "Railroad"
- February 5, 2013: Updated by aaron leibold: Add photos, history, truss type and count.
- Jeff McNeiland
- Brad Smith - gaberdine [at] hotmail [dot] com
- aaron leibold - aaron [dot] mightypenguin [at] gmail [dot] com
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Beth Wieland