Rating:
No votes cast

College Street Bridge

Photos 

College Street Bridge - Caption by Denton Public Library

Wire bridge at Little Elm

Courtesy Denton Public Library

BH Photo #353577

Map 

Description 

This may have been one of the rare cable-stayed bridges built by Edwin Elijah Runyon.

Facts 

Overview
Lost cable-stayed bridge over Elm Fork Trinity River on former E. College Street
Location
Lewisville, Denton County, Texas
Status
Removed, but two stone piers remain
Design
Cable-stayed (?)
Approximate latitude, longitude
+33.05575, -96.97033   (decimal degrees)
33°03'21" N, 96°58'13" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
14/689500/3659299 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 68966 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

Cable-stayed (91)
Denton County, Texas (28)
Lewisville, Texas (1)
Lost (18,689)
Texas (2,234)

Update Log 

  • May 17, 2016: New photo from aaron leibold
  • August 22, 2015: Added

Sources 

Comments 

College Street Bridge
Posted May 17, 2016, by aaron leibold (aaron [dot] mightypenguin [at] gmail [dot] com)

David Box in 'Elm Fork Echos' of May 1993 described a tour from Dallas to Denton which had been published in the 1913 issue of the Dallas Auto Club tour guide. In reconstructing the route he concluded that west of Hebron the route utilized Highway 544 and then turned northwest to a bridge over the Elm Fork and entered Lewisville on College Street. A current topographic map of the area shows an unimproved road from College Street that crosses the river and joins Highway 121. We can see no evidence of that road today but the area east of the river is overgrown with grass and brush and the area to the west is part of the Lewisville landfill. Both piers at the location are constructed from quarried stone and mortar. The pier shown in Figure 1 is on the west bank of the river and about 50 feet from the river. Near the base it is about 18 feet wide and 6 feet thick, it is about 12 feet high with sloping sides. The other pier is on the east side of the river and at the waters edge as shown in Figure 2. The eastern pier has a rectangular base 17 feet wide and 10 feet thick. The sides slope gradually above the base. An earthen ramp and several wooden piles remain to the east of the pier.

James Polser of Lewisville remembers the bridge from the forties or fifties on the road from Lewisville to McKinney. He recalls a bridge with a ramp at each end and with a steel superstructure

College Street Bridge
Posted August 24, 2015, by M C Toyer (mctoyer [at] hotmail [dot] com)

As far as I can tell the extant stone piers are not at the same location as the cable stayed bridge in the vintage photo.

Maps of the 1900-1925 era show a "wire bridge" on another road connecting Lewisville and Little Elm. That location was inundated when present Lake Lewisville was expanded from the original Lake Dallas in the mid 1950s.