Dallas-Oak Cliff Viaduct
Photo taken by W Schutz in September 2012
BH Photo #239273
This concrete viaduct connecting the City of Dallas with its suburb Oak Cliff was constructed as a direct result of the disastrous May 1908 flood which cut off and hampered transportation and communication for several days and caused numerous casualties.
The viaduct carried State Highways 1 and 6, and U S Highways 67, 77 and 80 until reassigned or replaced by freeway and turnpike construction in the 1950s.
It continues to serve as a primary intra city artery and is presently (2014) being upgraded and modified to carry a trolley system along with auto traffic and bicycles.
- Open-spandrel arch bridge over Trinity River on Houston Street in Dallas
- Dallas, Dallas County, Texas
- Open to one-way southbound traffic
- Built 1911; DART Dallas Streetcar LRT tracks installed 2015
- - Corrigan, Lee & Halpin of Kansas City (General Contractor)
- Gulf Concrete Construction Co. (Foundation Sub-Contractor)
- Hedrick & Cochrane of Kansas City, Missouri (Consulting Engineers)
- M. R. Ash (Associate Engineer)
- - Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
- Light Rail
- Open-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 103.0 ft.
Total length: 4,785.3 ft. (0.9 mi.)
Deck width: 33.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 9, 1984
- Also called
- Houston Street Viaduct
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +32.76817, -96.81031 (decimal degrees)
32°46'05" N, 96°48'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/705105/3627708 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 84001641 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
TXNBI 180570000911079 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 32929 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 24.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 28, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added categories "LIght Rail", "Dallas Area Rapid Transit"
- October 30, 2014: Updated by M C Toyer: add history and vintage photograph
- December 29, 2013: New photos from Luke Harden
- October 24, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder
- September 13, 2012: New photos from W Schutz
- May 5, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth