Old Bankhead Highway Muddy Creek Bridge
Facing Southwest from East Shore February 2014
Photo taken Dan L Smith, posted by M C Toyer
BH Photo #294782
Built in 1921-22 across Muddy Creek between Rowlett and Rockwall. Abandoned about 1970 due to construction of Lake Ray Hubbard. A new bridge was then built on the re-aligned SH 66 / Lakeview Parkway.
The abandoned bridges carried the Bankhead Highway, constructed in 1921, and designated Texas State Highway 1. In 1926 it also became US Highway 67. About 1950 the highway was re-designated Texas State Highway 66 and a new US Highway 67 was built further south.
The bridge remains are normally covered by the waters of Lake Ray Hubbard but are exposed when the lake level drops below the conservation level of 435 feet above sea level.
- Abandoned slab bridges over Muddy Creek / Tributary of East Fork Trinity River on Bankhead Highway / TX 1 / US 67 / TX 66
- Dallas, Dallas County, Texas
- Road and bridges abandoned during lake construction then inundated when the dam was closed
- Built ca 1921-22, abandoned ca 1970
- - Texas Highway Department
- Three separate concrete slab bridges of varying length over Muddy Creek and relief channels. Bridges have concrete posts and rails and the concrete deck has been overlaid with asphalt macadam.
Length of largest span: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 250.0 ft.
Deck width: 25.0 ft.
- Also called
- Texas Highway 66
Muddy Creek Bridge
Texas Highway 1
U S Highway 67
Garland and Rockwall Road
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +32.90523, -96.54200 (decimal degrees)
32°54'19" N, 96°32'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/729890/3643460 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 425 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 63082 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 21, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- October 2, 2014: New photo from M C Toyer
- September 20, 2014: Updated by Luke: Seperated cities + added to "Inundated"
- September 20, 2014: Added by M C Toyer