Old Grauwyler & Grapevine Road
ca 1993 Facing East
courtesy Irving Public Library and M C Toyer
BH Photo #294662
This bridge was located on the old Grauwyler and Grapevine Road over the new Trinity River Diversion Channel constructed in 1930. The road dates to the mid to late 19th century connecting the Grauwyler (pronounced Gar-Wheeler) Community in northwest Dallas County to Grapevine in northeast Tarrant County serving several communities in between.
The bridge design indicates it was originally built cc 1890 - 1910 but its prior location has not been determined.
The eastern approach road was truncated by the levee construction. To access the bridge the road went up and over the east levee.
The bridge was removed in 1993 but the abutments and pilings remain in the diversion channel. Reportedly the bridge was acquired by a private party and relocated to southern Dallas County. The original site can be accessed from the east under the present SH 183 bridge. Proctor Street on the west side has been closed.
- Lost Through truss bridge over Trinity River Diversion Channel on Proctor Street
- Irving, Dallas County, Texas
- Removed but not replaced
- Built 1930 to cross new Trinity River Diversion Channel
- Through truss
Length of largest span: 99.1 ft.
Total length: 190.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
- Also called
- Proctor Street
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +32.82946, -96.89158 (decimal degrees)
32°49'46" N, 96°53'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/697356/3634350 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory numbers
- TXNBI 1805709P8110001 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 63078 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 01/1992)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 23.4 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1991)
- September 20, 2014: Updated by M C Toyer: Vintage Maps Added by M C Toyer
- M C Toyer - mctoyer [at] hotmail [dot] com