Photo taken by Linda Thaxton in September 2011
BH Photo #212995
Coleman County Commissioners Court records contain a contract for the county's first bridge across the Colorado River near Waldrip was awarded in January 1894 to George E. King Bridge Co. of Iowa. They completed the job, which was delayed by flood, 12 months later.
Another devastating flood on Aug. 6, 1906, caused waters to rise 65 feet above normal levels and five feet above the bridge, destroying it. Five years passed before the current Waldrip Bridge was opened, using the first bridge's rock piers as part of the foundation.
- Through truss bridge over Colorado River on CR 220
- Coleman County, Texas, and McCulloch County, Texas
- Rehabilitated in 2011 and now open for traffic.
- Future prospects
- The steel-and-wooden-deck Waldrip Bridge is currently undergoing renovations, it is scheduled to reopen in September 2011.
- Built 1911
- - George E. King Bridge Co. of Des Moines, Iowa
- Pratt Through Truss featuring a 170ft main span and 5 smaller secondary spans, 4 on the Northern and 1 on the Southern approaches.
Length of largest span: 170.0 ft.
Total length: 698.2 ft.
Deck width: 14.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 7.6 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Colorado River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +31.46250, -99.42222 (decimal degrees)
31°27'45" N, 99°25'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/459887/3480937 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory numbers
- TXNBI 230420AA0294001 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 32836 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 22, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder and corrected typo in the description, because his middle initial was E, not D.
- February 12, 2012: New photo from Garry Taylor
- November 9, 2011: New photo from Ken Miller
- September 9, 2011: Updated by Linda Thaxton: There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony on the Rockwood side of the bridge at 11:00 a.m. on September 17 2011. The community of Rockwood is celebrating homecoming that day.
- September 7, 2011: New photos from Linda Thaxton
- August 26, 2011: Updated by aaron leibold: New historic and renovation data
- July 15, 2011: Updated by Linda Thaxton: Currently undergoing rehabilitation. Scheduled to reopen September 2011.
- Linda Thaxton
- aaron leibold - aaron [dot] mightypenguin [at] gmail [dot] com
- Ken Miller - dermoons [at] gmail [dot] com
- Garry Taylor - indy311 [at] gmail [dot] com