Lower Elgin Road Bridge
Photo provided by Kenneth Miller
BH Photo #108923
Per TxDot Texas Historic Bridge Inventory documentation, "Bridge links rural communities of Cedar Valley, Utley, and Union Hill with Elgin..." It was by-passed by the construction of a new bridge in 1998 and abandoned in-place.
As old as this bridge is, it was not the first bridge to have been built at this location; the Bastrop County Commissioners Court meeting minutes of April 7, 1887 specified this bridge to be built "On Wilbarger Creek at the old bridge site."
- Pratt through-truss bridge over Wilbarger Creek on Lower Elgin Road (CR 55). This road has also been known as Coats Rd.
- Elgin, Bastrop County, Texas
- Was open to pedestrians until the flooding of Wilbarger Creek in May, 2015. As a result of the flood, the bridge sustained damage to the decking and was closed by Bastrop County.
- Future prospects
- Several area residents are interested in restoration work to make the bridge safe again for pedestrian use, and are researching bridge history and possible sources of funding for restoration work. The bridge has a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/LowerElginRoadBridge)
- The KCBI bid for several bridges (3 or 4--exact details TBD), including this one, was for $12,829 and was accepted by the Bastrop County Commissioners Court on May 31, 1887 (source: Bastrop County Commissioners Court meeting minutes, Vol. D. p. 270)
- - Kansas City Bridge & Iron Co. of Kansas City, Missouri (Bastrop County Commissioners Court meetings of April - May, 1887)
- Pin-connected, 6-panel Pratt through-truss
Length of largest span: 99.1 ft.
Total length: 250.0 ft.
Deck width: 11.2 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 9.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.22268, -97.40928 (decimal degrees)
30°13'22" N, 97°24'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/653087/3344530 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- TXNBI 140110AA0055001 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 32757 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 16, 2015: Updated by Debra Ferguson: Updated to include details from TxDot "Texas Historic Bridge Inventory" documentation and from minutes of the Bastrop County Commissioners Court meetings of April - May, 1887)
- August 15, 2015: Updated by Julie Bowers: fixed typo
- May 26, 2014: Updated by royce haley: Posted new photos
- July 9, 2007: Posted photos from Kenneth Miller
- Kenneth Miller - dermoons [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Julie Bowers - jbowerz1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Debra Ferguson