Lower Elgin Road Bridge
Photo provided by Kenneth Miller
BH Photo #108923
Per TxDot Texas Historic Bridge Inventory documentation, "Bridge links rural communities of Cedar Valley, Utley, and Union Hill with Elgin..." It was by-passed by the construction of a new bridge in 1997 and abandoned in-place.
As old as this bridge is, it was not the first bridge to have been built at this location; the Bastrop County Commissioners Court meeting minutes of April 7, 1887 specified this bridge to be built "On Wilbarger Creek at the old bridge site."
- Pratt through-truss bridge over Wilbarger Creek on Lower Elgin Road (CR 55). This road has also been known as Coats Rd.
- Bastrop County, Texas
- The damage from the floods of 2015 was repaired in the fall of 2018, and the bridge is open again to pedestrian traffic.
- Future prospects
- The 2015 flood damage to the Lower Elgin Road bridge was repaired by Beck-Reit & Sons, Ltd. of Austin. The repair costs approved by FEMA totaled $127,215.90; the repair costs were reimbursed to the County by FEMA (75%) and Texas Department of Agriculture (25%). The repair work began on October 31, 2018 and was completed by the end of November 2018.
The bridge has a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/LowerElginRoadBridge) and a web site (http://lowerelginroadbridge.com/index.html)
- The KCBI bid for four bridges, including this one, was for $12,829 and was accepted by the Bastrop County Commissioners Court on May 31, 1887 (source: Bastrop County Commissioners Court meeting minutes, Vol. D. p. 270)
- - Kansas City Bridge & Iron Co. of Kansas City, Missouri (Bastrop County Commissioners Court meetings of April - May, 1887)
- Pin-connected, 6-panel Pratt through-truss
Length of largest span: 99.1 ft.
Total length: 250.0 ft.
Deck width: 11.2 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 9.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 10, 2017
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.22268, -97.40928 (decimal degrees)
30°13'22" N, 97°24'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/653087/3344530 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- TXNBI 140110AA0055001 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 32757 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 3, 2019: New photos from Debra Ferguson
- May 8, 2018: New Street View added by Leslie R Trick
- May 8, 2018: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- August 16, 2015: Updated by Debra Ferguson: Updated to include details from TxDot "Texas Historic Bridge Inventory" documentation and from minutes of the Bastrop County Commissioners Court meetings of April - May, 1887)
- August 15, 2015: Updated by Julie Bowers: fixed typo
- May 26, 2014: Updated by royce haley: Posted new photos
- July 9, 2007: Posted photos from Kenneth Miller
- Kenneth Miller - dermoons [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Julie Bowers - jbowerz1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Debra Ferguson
- Leslie R Trick - Leslie [dot] Trick [at] gmail [dot] com