Rating:
No votes cast

Old Town Bridge

Photos 

Dry laid stone bridge abutments of the Brown / Donalson Creek Bridge at the Harpeth River. Built by the US Government in 1801 to facilitate Travel on the lower River route of Natchez Trace. This is also the site of a highly developed Indian village

Panoramio user Frank Tuttle

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs (CC BY-ND)

View this photo at panoramio.com

BH Photo #292382

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Bridge at Old Town spanning Brown's Creeks on the Natchez Trace, Williamson County is one of the oldest remaining man-made bridges in Tennessee. The structure consisted of massive masonry abutments with a short pole bridge suspended between them. Pole bridges were probably the most common type of bridge erected in frontier days and are still used today for simple county bridges. These bridges consist merely of poles (trees or logs) extending from one abutment to another with a deck of saplings or planks laid across the poles. (TDOT)

Facts 

Overview
Lost Bridge over Brown Creek on Old Natchez Trace
Location
Williamson County, Tennessee
Status
Replaced by a new bridge; Limestone abutments remain
History
Built 1801
Builder
- U.S. Army of Washington, D.C.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 13, 1988
Approximate latitude, longitude
+35.99605, -86.93601   (decimal degrees)
35°59'46" N, 86°56'10" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/505767/3983512 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Leipers Fork
Inventory numbers
NRHP 88000325 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 62670 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • August 26, 2014: New Street View added by Dave King

Sources