Glaze's Ford Bridge
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in August 2010
BH Photo #172266
Glaze's Ford is the original location on the Nolichucky River where the bridge was built in 1901, by the early 1920's, it became known as the Smith Bridge. A flood in 1901 delayed construction, and the middle pier had to be rebuilt. When finished, it was described by the contractor as "a first-class modern steel superstructure upon massive piers of solid masonry." Extensive repairs in 1912-1913 including rivets that strengthened the pin connections, top and bottom eyerods and top and end chords.
Pony truss on north end has an unusual 15-degree skew as the former road abruptly connected to the bridge around a curve on the side of a hill.
Because of the riveted structure (way before its time), the masonry piers, and the skewed pony truss, this bridge is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Nolichucky River
- Washington County, Tennessee
- Closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- Available for reuse
- Built in 1901 at Glaze's Ford, flood damage repaired and strengthened in 1912-1913, closed in 1983 and left intact on private property
- - E.N. Matthews
- Southern Bridge Co. of Birmingham, Alabama
- Two pin-connected Pratt through trusses, one riveted Pratt pony truss built on a skew of 15 degrees.
Length of largest span: 140.8 ft.
Total length: 294.0 ft.
Deck width: 11.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Smith Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.19662, -82.63768 (decimal degrees)
36°11'48" N, 82°38'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/352760/4006999 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 1402 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 45837 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 3, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- July 1, 2014: Updated by Fmiser: Removed "through" from the pony truss description
- August 9, 2010: New Street View added by Calvin Sneed
- August 8, 2010: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Fmiser - fmiser [at] gmail [dot] com