Hammond Memorial Bridge
Hammond Memorial Bridge
From north riverbank: 3-span, open spandrel, dual ribbed concrete arch bridge on former U.S. 23 (State Highway 36), over the Holston River, South Fork. The newer bridge is to the left.
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in June 2006
BH Photo #116961
Old Pactolus Ferry was located 500 feet downstream, and a 4-span Warren through truss bridge was built at the present location. This 3-span open spandrel concrete arch bridge replaced it in 1929.
- Three-span open spandrel concrete arch bridge over South Holston River on State Highway 36 (southbound)
- Kingsport, Sullivan County, Tennessee
- Structurally deficient, meets minimum tolerable limits to be left in place as is
- Built 1929 to replace an earlier steel truss bridge near the old Pactolus Ferry; later converted to southbound traffic after parallel bridge built in 1969
- - Tennessee Highway Department
- Original Bridge: 3 open-spandrel, dual ribbed concrete arches, with horizontal bars molded into a modillion deck effect on each spandrel rib, along with 5 concrete deck girders, and spindle design concrete handrails.
Newer Bridge: Concrete Deck I-Beam Girder.
Length of largest span: 236.9 ft.
Total length: 916.0 ft.
Deck width: 23.2 ft.
- Also called
- Old Pactolus Ferry Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.49778, -82.51250 (decimal degrees)
36°29'52" N, 82°30'45" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/364539/4040225 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Sullivan Gardens
- Inventory numbers
- TN 82SR0360008 (Tennessee bridge number)
BH 32713 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 03/2017)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 53.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- July 5, 2016: New Street View added by Clark Vance
- August 26, 2010: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- May 3, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- January 23, 2010: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- August 3, 2008: Updated by Calvin Sneed
- July 29, 2008: Updated by Calvin Sneed
- July 8, 2008: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- July 7, 2008: New photo from Calvin Sneed
- July 4, 2008: Updated by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com