NS - New River Bridge
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in November 2010
BH Photo #188012
NS 224 at New River
Northbound NS intermodal train #224 crossing the bridge.
Play video on YouTube
The New River Railroad Bridge is the tallest railroad bridge in the State of Tennessee, at 389 feet above the New River Gorge. The river channel cantilever span stands on two hollow piers, 392 feet apart. The bridge was built along a realignment of Cincinnati Southern's infamous "Rathole" Line, between Danville, Kentucky and Oakdale, Tennessee, to reduce the number of tunnels and fault line crossings on the Cincinnati-to-Chattanooga route. The realignment also lowered the steep incline into the New River Valley northward from Elgin, Tennessee, eliminating the need for the Robbins Tunnel and the old New River crossing (see Cincinnati Southern New River Bridge in this category).
- Warren deck truss bridge over New River on Cincinnati Southern (Norfolk-Southern) Railroad
- New River Community, Scott County, Tennessee
- Open to traffic
- Built 1963 to bypass Robbins Tunnel (T15) and several fault lines on old railroad
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Cincinnati Southern Railway (CNTP)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Southern Railway (SOU)
- Continuous 3-span Warren deck truss bridge, with one main Warren cantilever over the river channel, flanked by 3 deck plate girder approach spans on either end (total of 6).
Total length: 1,068.0 ft.
Deck width: 10.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Cincinnati Southern New River Bypass Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.39593, -84.55784 (decimal degrees)
36°23'45" N, 84°33'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/719020/4030635 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Oneida South
- 1120 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 47060 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 25, 2019: Updated by Luke: Added builder per forum comment
- May 17, 2017: New photo from Aaron Blake
- May 15, 2013: Updated by Zachary S: Added category "Tall Bridges"
- November 30, 2012: New photos from Alex Wood
- November 22, 2010: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Alex Wood