CNTP - New River Viaduct (3rd)
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in July 2010
BH Photo #169840
The abandoned bridge and the nearby Robbins Tunnel south of it (also called Tunnel 15 by Norfolk Southern) were bypassed when the new trackage and bridge downriver opened in 1963.
- Abandoned Pratt deck truss bridge over New River once carried Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railway's Cincinnati Southern Railroad (later Norfolk Southern), before being bypassed
- Scott County, Tennessee
- Built 1908; Replaced by a new bridge and mostly removed 1963
- - Riverside Bridge Co. of Martins Ferry, Ohio
- - Cincinnati Southern Railway (CNTP)
- Cincinnati, New Orleans, & Texas Pacific Railway (CNO&TP; CNTP)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Southern Railway (SOU)
- A 200-foot iron-modified Pratt deck truss over the river channel, flanked on either side by a 730-foot trestle of 4 Warren deck trusses, with a total length of 930 feet. In 1962-1963 when a new bridge bypassed this bridge and the nearby Robbins Tunnel, the 4 Warren decks were dismantled, leaving only the Pratt deck truss in these pictures in place, spanning the New River channel.
Length of largest span: 230.0 ft.
Total length: 935.0 ft.
- Also called
- NS New River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.38046, -84.55299 (decimal degrees)
36°22'50" N, 84°33'11" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/719499/4028929 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Oneida South
- Inventory number
- BH 45669 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 24, 2018: Updated by Luke: Split 1879 and 1908 bridges into two entries
- April 24, 2018: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added builder for 1908 bridge.
- November 5, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- August 19, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller
- January 23, 2013: New photos from Alex Wood
- October 24, 2010: Updated by Matthew Lohry: Updated GPS location
- July 18, 2010: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Matt Lohry
- Alex Wood
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Nathan Holth