CSX - Ridgetop Tunnel
South portal entrance, unlined
View is from the south side of the ridge in Davidson County, looking northbound underneath the town of Ridgetop
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in September 2013
Tunnel is at the top of the Nashville Basin, a natural depression phenomenon in Middle Tennessee. South portal is 779 feet above sea level, north portal is 784 feet above sea level
- Tunnel under town of Ridgetop, Tennessee on CSX Railroad
- Ridgetop, Robertson County, Tennessee, and Davidson County, Tennessee
- Open to traffic
- Built 1905 by the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis RR (predecessor to the Louisville & Nashville RR, later CSX).. was longest free standing tunnel in the world when completed.
Total length: 4,621.0 ft. (0.9 mi.)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.40346, -86.77875 (decimal degrees)
36°24'12" N, 86°46'44" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/519838/4028722 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 784 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 48216 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 25, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Removed category "L&N Railroad" Added categories "Louisville and Nashville Railroad", "Railroad"
- February 22, 2011: Added by J.P.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com