Historical Photo: Nemo Bridge 1930
Photo from Calvin Sneed
BH Photo #169858
The original Nemo Bridge consisted of one 180-foot Parker, and one 40-foot Warren through truss. After the floods of 1929 took that bridge out, Morgan County instituted a "Bridge Rebuilding Fund of Morgan County," allocating $100,000 for the purpose of rebuildiing this bridge, and also the ones at Oakdale and Deermont. Because the county had already spent $80,000 to rebuild Oakdale, county leaders asked the Tennessee State Highway Department to finish this bridge and Deermont. The state did not, and the county quickly contracted with the Atlantic Bridge Company to build both structures.
- Camelback through truss bridge over Emory River on Catoosa Road
- Nemo (unincorporated), Morgan County, Tennessee
- Open to pedestrians
- Future prospects
- Preserved as part of the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation's Cumberland Trail System
- Built 1929 after this and nearby bridges at Oakdale and Deermont were destroyed by floods in 1906
- - Atlantic Bridge Co.
- One 180-foot Camelback, two 149 foot Camelback spans. Each span is a pin-connected Camelback through truss.. pin connections were very unusual on a span of this type in 1929, normally they were on earlier truss spans. The two 149-foot truss spans, the second incline contains only one panel, while the 180-span has the more typical two-panel incline. West abutment is masonry, east abutment is masonry with a concrete camp, denoting they were built for the 1906 spans. Top chords, end posts and veticals are channels with lacing. Bottom chords and diagonals are paired rectilinear eyebars, and the counters are single cylindrical tie rods.
Length of largest span: 180.0 ft.
Total length: 481.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.06859, -84.66237 (decimal degrees)
36°04'07" N, 84°39'45" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/710520/3994085 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 45667 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 8, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- November 12, 2013: New photos from Shane Passmore
- July 18, 2010: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Shane Passmore - aa5te [dot] kb5ehr [at] gmail [dot] com