Old US27 Emory River Bridge
Old Emory River Bridge
This bridge is the former U.S. 27 highway crossing over the Emory River on the historic Cincinnati-Chattanooga Airline Highway.
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in August 2008
BH Photo #122801
This bridge's beginnings began in 1922, as a link in the proposed Cincinnati-Chattanooga Airline Highway, also known as the Dixie Airline Highway. It was built in 1928 for $135,777.07 in conjunction with a three-span Warren truss bridge at New River on State Highway 29. In 1980, the state realigned State Highway 29 (U.S. 27) and bypassed this segment, leaving this bridge intact.
The bridge is a riveted Warren pony (semi-deck) truss, with two concrete deck girder spans on either end. It sits on a scored concrete substructure. The original lattice railing is intact, with concrete spindle railings (typical of Tennessee bridge construction) on the girder spans. Composition of the members is also typical. Top chords and end posts are channels with lacing, bottom chords are channels with battens. The verticals and diagonals are I-beams.
- Warren pony truss bridge over Emory River on Old U.S. 27
- Morgan County, Tennessee
- Future prospects
- Available for reuse
- Begun in 1926, finished in 1928
- - Tennessee Highway Department
- 1 Warren pony truss, 2 concrete deck girder spans
Length of largest span: 60.0 ft.
Total length: 143.1 ft.
Deck width: 20.3 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.12750, -84.61611 (decimal degrees)
36°07'39" N, 84°36'58" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/714526/4000722 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- TN 65SR0290019 (Tennessee bridge number)
BH 37355 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2009)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 26.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 7, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "US 27"
- November 7, 2013: New photos from Shane Passmore
- July 18, 2010: New Street View added by Calvin Sneed
- August 31, 2008: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- August 30, 2008: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Shane Passmore - aa5te [dot] kb5ehr [at] gmail [dot] com