Significant under Criterion A as example of county’s commitment to improved transportation and Criterion C as a representative Pratt truss bridge by the Champion Bridge Company.
The Champion Bridge Company erected this bridge in 1914 (Toplovich and Rogers 1981). It contains one span, a 94.5-foot pin-connected Pratt through truss on concrete abutments. Seventeen feet tall, the bridge has a curb-to-curb width of 11.0 feet and an out-to-out width of 13.0 feet. The portal bracing is laced, and the knee bracing is a single angled member. Composition of members is typical. Top chords and end posts are channels with battens, and bottom chords are paired rectilinear eyebars. Verticals are small channels with lacing except hip verticals which are single rectilinear eyebars. Diagonals are single rectilinear eyebars in the center panels and paired rectilinear eyebars in flanking panels. Counters are single rectilinear tie rods.
The county barricaded and closed this bridge to traffic in 1985. It remains intact as a historic ruin. The Tennessee Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Meigs County and the Federal Highway Administration, built a new bridge nearby in 1988.