Significant under Criterion C as an early, atypical Pratt truss bridge by the Champion Bridge Company. In April 1884 the Meigs County Court ordered that a contract be entered into with the Champion Bridge Company for $1,395 to erect the superstructure of this bridge. It is unclear if the substructure predates the truss or if the county contracted for it separately. Apparently, Champion completed the bridge by October since the court at that time ordered all warrants regarding the bridge to be paid (Meigs County Court Minutes Volume 9:63, 114, 318; Toplovich and Rogers 1981).
The King’s Mill Bridge contains one span, an iron 98.5-foot pin connected Pratt through truss sitting on masonry abutments. The bridge has a curb-to-curb width of 11.1 feet and an out-to-out width of 13.0 feet. Decorative features include lattice portal bracing, arched knee bracing with a single circle, and four finials. The composition of most members is relatively typical. Top chords and end posts are channels with battens. Bottom chords and diagonals are paired rectilinear eyebars. Verticals are small channels with lacing, except the hip verticals, which are paired rectilinear eyerods. Counters are single cylindrical tie rods. One unusual feature is the lateral bracing that connects at an angle on the side of the end post that connects near but not within the intersection of the strut and vertical. Another unusual feature is a horizontal tension member that spans the two center panels and then extends diagonally upward and joins the upper chord at its intersection with the hip length; at those points a circular metal piece is located in the vertical, and the tension member is bolted into each side. Apparently the additional tension member was not a cost efficient design and few