L&N - Duck River Bridge
Old L & N Railroad Bridge
The only Pratt through truss bridge on the old L & N Railroad Line between Nashville, Tennessee and Decatur, Alabama. View is northbound (towards Nashville).
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in 1973
BH Photo #119106
Written by Calvin Sneed
These pictures were taken in 1974, as a northbound train approached. The steel bridge has been painted several times since.
I visited again in 2015 and found the bridge in need of painting again. The railroad and this bridge gets a lot of traffic since CSX closed its companion parallel north-south route between Athens, Alabama and Brentwood, TN.
- Warren through truss bridge over Duck River in Northern Marshall County
- Marshall County, Tennessee
- Open to traffic
- Built 1913;
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Louisville & Nashville Railroad (L&N; LN)
- Steel reinforced Warren through truss with all verticals and end panel crash bars
Total length: 320.0 ft.
Deck width: 23.0 ft.
- Also called
- Louisville & Nashville Railroad Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.58346, -86.72751 (decimal degrees)
35°35'00" N, 86°43'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/524687/3937784 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 668 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numer
- BH 36997 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 7, 2015: Updated by Andy Winegar: Corrected bridge type
- October 5, 2015: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- October 3, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- January 2, 2010: Updated by Calvin Sneed: http://www.csx.com/
- December 31, 2009: Updated by Calvin Sneed: CSX spokesperson says CSX Transportation includes rail. intermodal and transfer services. CSX Railroad is correct name for railroad only.
- July 31, 2008: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- July 30, 2008: Essay added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Andy Winegar