Ellis Cove Bridge
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in August 2010
BH Photo #173123
Originally, the bridge contained an elaborate portal treatment of laced horizontal bracing and arched knee bracing, with a three-circle motif, but Marion County replaced these members with angles in the 1990's, just before the bridge was abandoned.
- Abandoned Pratt through truss bridge over Battle Creek
- Marion County, Tennessee
- Future prospects
- Under Category 6 (#24), Tennessee has determined that this bridge is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places because of its former decorative features, and the fact that it was moved, intact, to its present location almost 40 years after its manufacture, and was still in service almost 60 years after that.
- Built 1891, relocated to Ellis Cove Road about 1930
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- The bridge contains one 110-foot, pin-connected Pratt through truss, with two steel I-beam spans (both removed, along with wooden decking). Composition of the members is typical of a Pratt truss. Top chords and end posts are channels with battens. Bottom chords and diagonals are paired rectilinear eyebars. Verticals are laced beams, except the hip verticals, which are also paired rectilinear eyebars. The counters are single cylindrical tie rods. One unusual feature are the "V" shaped floor beams.
Length of largest span: 110.0 ft.
Total length: 130.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.08439, -85.74279 (decimal degrees)
35°05'04" N, 85°44'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/614608/3883124 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- South Pittsburg
- 663 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 45946 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 17, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- December 6, 2012: Updated by Martha Carver: Moved location indicator; Google has the road slightly to the west of its actual location, and the bridge is immediately to the west of the road.
- August 22, 2010: Added by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Martha Carver - martha_carver [at] bellsouth [dot] net