Technical name is a pin-connected Baltimore Petit through truss, built with 2 pin-connected Pratt half-hip pony trusses on either end (both removed in 1987). The top chords and end posts are channels with lacing. The verticals are small channels with lacing, except the hip verticals and the half verticals from the midpoiint to the bottom chord that are paired with rectilinear eyerods. The bottom floor beams are "V" chevron-shaped, common in early bridges but phased out by the 1890's. This may have been one of the last vehicular Baltimore Petit's, with the chevron-shaped floor beams, rendering it historic indeed. The original masonry abutments were later repaired and strengthened with concrete.
- Baltimore through truss bridge over Elk River on J.D. Suggs Road
- Lincoln County, Tennessee
- Closed to all traffic
- Built 1891. Bridge closed to traffic. Deck and approaches removed in 1986.
- Pin-connected Baltimore Petit through truss
Length of largest span: 304.0 ft.
Total length: 408.5 ft.
Deck width: 12.6 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.09915, -86.74265 (decimal degrees)
35°05'57" N, 86°44'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/523455/3884068 (zone/easting/northing)
- 624 ft. above sea level
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory number
- BH 36241 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 4, 2013: New photos from Johnny C Barrett
- March 31, 2013: New photos from Johnny C Barrett
- September 17, 2011: New photos from James McCray
- June 16, 2011: Updated by Calvin Sneed: Added specifications and historical perspective.. may be the only vehicular Baltimore Petit through truss still standing in Tennessee
- June 13, 2011: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- September 27, 2008: New photos from James McCray
- July 14, 2008: Updated by James McCray: Updated gps coordinates
- February 8, 2008: Added by James McCray
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
- HAER TN-23 - Hobbs Bridge, Spanning Elk River on Curtis Road (A494), Coldwater vicinity, Lincoln County, TN
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Johnny C Barrett - jcarsonbarrett [at] gmail [dot] com