Photo taken by Bob Lawrence in December 2008
BH Photo #219410
Cut to allow a railroad to carry timber from Shady Valley TN to Damascus VA. Used by the Park Service after that, then the rails were taken up and the bed became a highway.
- Tunnel under Backbone Rock on TN 133 between Damascus VA and Shady Valley TN, Tennessee
- Johnson County, Tennessee
- Open to traffic
- Cut in 1901, taken over by Park Service.
- - Empire Mining Co.
Total length: 20.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.59419, -81.81514 (decimal degrees)
36°35'39" N, 81°48'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/427087/4050165 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Laurel Bloomery
- Average daily traffic (as of 1998)
- Inventory numers
- TN 46SR1330013 (Tennessee bridge number)
BH 47494 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of January 1999)
- View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 13, 2015: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- August 15, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Railroad", "Natural Landform", "Rail-to-road"
- November 4, 2011: Updated by Bob Lawrence: added more information
- January 2, 2011: Added by J.P.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Bob Lawrence
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com