Interstate 40 French Broad River Bridge
View from other bridge.
Photo taken by Christopher McCarter
BH Photo #143094
This bridge has been flagged for demolition and replacement in late summer 2018 by TNDOT.
It is unusual for a bridge to be flagged for demolition by a state agency just months before the demolition is planned. It is even more unusual and insane that the reason given for demolition is outright wrong. The reason given is that this bridge is “like the I-35W Bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis”.
First of all, if properly maintained, bridges like the I-35W Bridge are not at risk. Secondly, this bridge isn’t even that similar to the I-35W Bridge.
It appears that TNDOT is just looking for an excuse to demolish and replace this beautiful deck truss bridge with a mundane concrete and steel stringer bridge like they already did in 2002 with the nearby Swanns Memorial Bridge.
- Deck truss bridge over French Broad River (Douglas Lake) on I-40
- Jefferson County, Tennessee
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Scheduled for demolition and replacement in late summer 2018
- Built 1960; rehabilitated in 2009
- Arched warren deck truss bridge
Length of largest span: 312.0 ft.
Total length: 2,416.1 ft. (0.5 mi.)
Deck width: 67.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.04132, -83.33580 (decimal degrees)
36°02'29" N, 83°20'09" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/289572/3991056 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- White Pine
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- TN 45I00400019 (Tennessee bridge number)
BH 43044 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 68.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 24, 2018: Updated by Amanda: Bridge is slated for demolition and replacement in late summer 2018
- September 27, 2012: New photos from Martha Carver
- September 25, 2012: New photo from Martha Carver
- July 21, 2009: Added by Christopher McCarter
- Christopher McCarter - cmccarternx01 [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Martha Carver - martha_carver [at] bellsouth [dot] net