J. M. Walters Bridge
View from Cocke County Side
View of the bridge from the Cocke County Side, with the Baneberry Community to the left.
Photo taken by Christopher McCarter in August 2007
BH Photo #139117
The official bridge type of this lost bridge, as defined by T-DOT bridge inspectors, is a Warren (with verticials) Balanced Cantilevered Camelback Pratt K-Truss Hybrid bridge. The reference "K-truss hybrid" is a term I coined for a type of K-truss Camelback that reverses the "K" appearance to the left of the center of the truss span. The former Tennessee Highway Department only built 10 of these bridges. All are now gone. The Tennessee Department of Transportation now recognizes the term "K-Hybrid" I coined, in describing this particular type of construction in a Camelback span.
- Warren (w/verticals) Balanced Cantilevered Camelback Pratt K-Truss Hybrid (official type) bridge over French Broad River (Douglass Lake) on U.S. 25-E
- Jefferson County, Tennessee, and Cocke County, Tennessee
- Demolished and replaced.
- Built 1934, Lost 2017
- One of the strangest designs for a cantilevered through truss bridge ever. The cantilevered sections on either side of the Pratt through truss channel span, are not welded with massive steel as most cantilevers, but merely several steel beams designed to only connect the three spans together. A very unique cantilevered through truss style bridge.
Length of largest span: 205.4 ft.
Total length: 1,765.2 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Also called
- Highway 25-E bridge (locally)
J.M. Walters Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.04417, -83.25667 (decimal degrees)
36°02'39" N, 83°15'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/296708/3991203 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- White Pine
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- TN 15SR0320011 (Tennessee bridge number)
BH 37371 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 79.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 20, 2017: Updated by Nathan Holth: Demolished and replaced.
- May 31, 2016: New photo from Jedd
- November 13, 2015: New photos from Robert Elder
- September 7, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- September 7, 2015: Updated by Robert Elder: Added category "Doomed"
- April 8, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- April 14, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- April 24, 2009: New photo from Christopher McCarter
- September 26, 2008: Updated by Calvin Sneed
- September 7, 2008: Added by Calvin Sneed