Rating:
2 votes

TVRM - Whiteside Tunnel

Share:

Photos 

Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in April 2011

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Named for Colonel James Whiteside, major stockholder in the East Tennessee & Georgia Railroad, which took over the tunnel construction when the Chattanooga, Harrison, Georgetown & Charleston Railroad went bankrupt. Later acquired by the Southern Railway (now Norfolk-Southern) for its Knoxville-to-Birmingham main route. Abandoned, but donated to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in 1969.

Facts 

Overview
Tunnel under Missionary Ridge on Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (formerly Southern Railway)
Location
Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1858
Railroads
- Southern Railway (SOU)
- Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (TVRM)
Design
Tunnel
Dimensions
Total length: 986.0 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 24, 1978
Also called
SOU - Whiteside Tunnel
Approximate latitude, longitude
+35.06422, -85.23648   (decimal degrees)
35°03'51" N, 85°14'11" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/660807/3881586 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
East Chattanooga
Inventory numbers
NRHP 78002595 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 48785 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • September 1, 2015: New photo from John Loxton
  • November 21, 2011: Updated by J.P.: tunnel is on national register add information
  • May 18, 2011: Added by Calvin Sneed

Sources 

  • Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • John Loxton

Comments 

TVRM - Whiteside Tunnel
Posted September 1, 2015, by Alan Walker (awalker1829 [at] yahoo [dot] com)

One interesting facet about the Whiteside Tunnel is that when atmospheric conditions are right, fog will form inside the tunnel. This is due to the drainage of an underground stream and moisture percolating through the surrounding limestone. The limestone through which the tunnel passes is highly fractured towards the ends. The brick lining in the tunnel dates to 1888 and was installed after the tunnel partially collapsed due to an extremely wet spring.