Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt in February 2017
BH Photo #418840
CSX 210 Leads CSX Q647-11 at Whiteside Tunnel
Coming up on milepost 139 on the CSX Chattanooga Subdivision
Play video on YouTube
The tunnel looks to still be in good shape but it has water standing in it from about midway on to the west portal. On the length, I just made a rough guess of 400 ft or so. I think it's all in Hamilton County, but the west portal may be in Marion County. The tunnel was built in 1858 between 2 dry walls that were unsuccessful in keeping rock and dirt slides from covering the tracks. The tunnel was bypassed in 1911 and had the buttresses added for strength on the open cut side.
- Abandoned tunnel near Whiteside, TN on Raccoon Mountain on former alignment of the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, later NC&St.L, L&N, and CSX
- Hamilton County, Tennessee
- Was built in 1858 by the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad. It was bypassed by a double track cut to the south of it in 1911.
- - Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
Total length: 400.0 ft.
- Also called
- Raccoon Mountain Tunnel
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.98686, -85.46815 (decimal degrees)
34°59'13" N, 85°28'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/639811/3872657 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 80602 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 26, 2018: New photos from Eddie Douthitt
- February 25, 2018: New video from Eddie Douthitt