Bible Covered Bridge 42-30-01
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in August 2010
BH Photo #172212
The E.A. Bible family hired A.A. McLean to build this bridge to serve their nearby farm. At the time, it had no side windows. In 1940, Greene County purchased it for $750. It remained a public bridge until 1972, when the Greene County Heritage Trust rehabilitated it, including a new exterior covering with three pedimented windows on each side, also roof bracings and a shingle roof. The bridge retains the original wooden and steel truss members, the original concrete substructior and the original floor, with some modern repairs.
The original truss system is intact from 1923.
- Covered Queenpost truss bridge over Little Chucky Creek on Denver Bible Lane at Warrensburg Road
- Greene County, Tennessee
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1923; rehabilitated 1972
- - A.A. McLean
- Covered Wooden Queenpost Truss
Covered Timber Stringer
Length of largest span: 44.7 ft.
Total length: 68.8 ft.
Deck width: 11.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 8.4 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.12418, -83.05319 (decimal degrees)
36°07'27" N, 83°03'11" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/315228/3999674 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 42355 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 8, 2010: Updated by Calvin Sneed: Added photos, Street View and historical information
- April 16, 2009: Added by Robert Stephenson