Photo taken by Calvin Sneed
BH Photo #176171
A one-span, pinned Pratt through truss, with top chords and end post channels with lacing on the top and bottom. The bottom chords, which are below the floor beam, are paired rectilinear eyebards. Verticals are channels with lacing, except the hip verticals, which are paired rectilinear eyebards, as are the diagonals. The counters are paired rectilinear tie rods. The truss is resting on masonry abutments, probably erected in 1889 with concrete caps probably added in 1909 (the last known improvements).
- Pin-connected Pratt through truss bridge over Doe River on Old Tweetsie Railroad
- Carter County, Tennessee
- Open to single-lane traffic
- Built in 1889 in another location, relocated here to replace a flood-damaged Howe truss railroad bridge by the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad Company on Tweetsie Line, now a county road
- - Keystone Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- - East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad (ETWN)
- Pin-connected Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 105.6 ft.
Total length: 110.8 ft.
Deck width: 9.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 19.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Tweetsie-Doe River Bridge #3
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.23556, -82.15528 (decimal degrees)
36°14'08" N, 82°09'19" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/396185/4010694 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Iron Mountain Gap
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- TN 100A6340001 (Tennessee bridge number)
BH 32445 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 19, 2018: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net