Try out the new "What's Here?" feature
Sunday, December 09, 2012
Right now, the tool shows these items:
- County subdivisions (townships, New England towns, precincts, etc.)
- Incorporated places (cities, towns, villages, etc.)
- Quadrangle maps from the USGS, with link to download
- Railroad lines, with the yard or subdivision if available
- Other bridges
- Listings from uglybridges.com
This tool should help settle arguments over the ownership of railroad lines, as well as whether a bridge is located in a certain town or township. It should also help cut down on duplicate listings, since it will show other nearby bridges that are already listed.
Right now this is a highly experimental feature. I plan to expand it to cover other things (rivers, lakes, highways, streets, public land). If this is successful, and it doesn't overload the webserver, then I hope to make this tool more widely available.