Rating:
No votes cast

Banning Mill and Crossing

Photos 

Remains of the east approach

Photo taken in 1998 by Jason Smith

Enlarge

BH Photo #111423

Facts 

Overview
Lost bridge over Big Sioux River on 267th Street just south of Hwy. 42 and Iverson Bridges near East Sioux Falls
Location
Minnehaha County, South Dakota
Status
Collapsed
History
The bridge was built three times in its lifetime: 1884, 1895, and 1899. While it was washed away the first two times, the bridge collapsed under a herd of cattle the third time. It was never rebuilt.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
Inventory number
BH 36198 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • October 12, 2012: Updated by Jason Smith: Added category "NR-listed"
  • February 6, 2008: Added by Jason Smith

Sources 

  • Jason Smith - flensburg [dot] bridgehunter [dot] av [at] googlemail [dot] com