Rating:
No votes cast

LC - Catawba River Bridge

Photos 

Former Southern Railway Bridge

A Google Earth image of the former Southern Railway bridge in Catawba, SC on the old SB Line over the Catawba River. Lancaster is on the southern end of the frame while York is on the northern side.

Google Earth

Enlarge

BH Photo #270784

Map 

Description 

Deck Truss bridge carrying the Lancaster & Chester Railway across the Catawba River connecting York & Lancaster Counties, SC.

This bridge was part of the Southern Railway's SB Line which at one time ran from Marion, NC to Kingstree, SC. Much of the rail line has been pulled up or sold. The bridge was part of the track leased to the Lancaster and Chester Railway in 2001 (and then sold outright in 2003) by Norfolk Southern Railway.

As part of the agreement, this bridge has not been used by a revenue train since Norfolk Southern last ran over it in March, 2001. It has not been abandoned and may not officially be closed. In fact, L&C has made no secret of their desire to one day acquire more of the old SB Line in York county up to the connection to the NS R LIne in Rock Hill.

A previous bridge at this location was lost in the Flood of 1916.

Facts 

Overview
Deck truss bridge over Catawba River on Lancaster and Chester Railway
Location
York County, South Carolina, and Lancaster County, South Carolina
Status
Intact but closed to all traffic
Future prospects
Bridge has not been used since 2001, but the railroad hopes to reopen it at some date in the future.
History
Replaced an earlier structure lost in the Flood of 1916
Railroads
- Lancaster & Chester Railway (LC)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Southern Railway (SOU)
Design
Deck truss
Also called
NS - Catawba River Bridge
SOU - Catawba River Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+34.83115, -80.88880   (decimal degrees)
34°49'52" N, 80°53'20" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/510167/3854324 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Catawba
Inventory number
BH 58122 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • November 21, 2013: Updated by Joseph Hinson: Renamed the page so as to not be confused with another bridge used by the same railway down river. Also changed from "open" to "closed, but intact."
  • September 23, 2013: Added by Michael Miller

Sources