Berry Shoals Dam and Bridge
Abandoned Truss structure built on top of the Berry Shoals Pond Dam. Based on aerial observation, this bridge appears to be two separate bridges that meet at a large structure in the middle that is part of the dam itself.
The eastern bridge is composed of three 5-panel Pratt through truss spans. The western bridge is composed of a 5-panel Pratt through truss and a 4-panel Pratt pony truss.
The dam seems to have been built about 1900 to power an electric generator for powering the Tucapau Mill. It is likely the bridges were built at the same time. The Berry Shoals Power Station was shutdown in 1959.
- Abandoned bridge over South Tyger River/Berry Shoals Pond
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina
- Pratt truss spans built on top of the Berry Shoals Pond Dam. There is an 80ft long masonry landing in the middle that is part of the dam itself. Three spans are on the west side, and two, and maybe a missing third, are on the east.
Length of largest span: 90.0 ft.
Total length: 400.0 ft.
Deck width: 10.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.88780, -82.10137 (decimal degrees)
34°53'16" N, 82°06'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/399359/3861153 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 715 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 57687 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 8, 2018: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- October 19, 2017: New photo from Andrew Penik
- January 29, 2016: New photo from Andrew Penik
- January 22, 2016: New photo from Andrew Penik
- August 20, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
- August 20, 2013: Updated by Fmiser: Added categories "5-panel truss", "4-panel truss", "Pony truss"
- August 19, 2013: Added by Michael Miller