LC - Catawba River Trestle
A through truss bridge over the Catawba River between Lancaster and Chester, South Carolina. The bridge is visible from the nearby highway bridge, but there is no room to pull off and since you are on a 55-mile per hour highway, it's not entirely safe either. It's actually very unsafe.
Fortunately, there is a boat landing under the highway bridge on the Lancaster side of the river. Look for the "Highway 9 Landing" signs and take the dirt road under the highway bridges. Park there, lock your car and find the path used by fishermen to get closer to the bridge.
Wear old tennis shoes and jeans as it can get muddy back there.
- Bridge over Catawba River on Lancaster and Chester Railway
- Grace, Lancaster County, South Carolina, and Chester County, South Carolina
- Open to railroad traffic
- Replaced prior bridge after 1916 flood, was moved here from another location
- - Lancaster & Chester Railway (LC)
- Pratt through truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.70605, -80.86628 (decimal degrees)
34°42'22" N, 80°51'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/512246/3840453 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 54661 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 5, 2017: New video from Clark Vance
- November 4, 2017: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- October 29, 2013: Updated by Joseph Hinson: Added information about the "fishing path."
- September 23, 2013: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- November 29, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Railroad", "Lancaster & Chester Railway"
- November 29, 2012: New photo from Joseph Hinson
- November 28, 2012: Added by Joseph Hinson
- Joseph Hinson - joethephotog [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com