WCLR - Intercoastal Waterway Drawbridge
ACL Intercoastal Waterway Drawbridge
Carolina Southern Railroad is about to lower the bridge in 2001 and run a train over it for the first time since 1987.
Photo taken by Joseph Hinson in 2001
BH Photo #249233
- Bridge over Intercoastal Waterway on Carolina Southern Railroad (former Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, Seaboard Coast Line Railroad, Horry County Railroad, and Wacamaw Coast Line and former roadway (now unused) in Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach, Horry County, South Carolina
- Closed to traffic due to the railroad being suspended by the FRA in 2011
- Built 1937; Deemed unsafe 1987; Rehabilititated 1987-97; Reopened 2001; Closed 2011 due to a voluntary shutdown of the CSR
- - Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL)
- Carolina Southern Railroad (CALA)
- Horry County Railroad (HCYR)
- Seaboard Coast Line Railroad (SCL)
- Waccamaw Coast Line Railroad (WCLR)
- Built to carry single rail line on one side with roadway on other. Bridge repainted in last decade, formerly derelict and rusty, condemned by county.
- Also called
- ACL - Pine Island Bridge
ACL - Intercoastal Waterway Drawbridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.71454, -78.92164 (decimal degrees)
33°42'52" N, 78°55'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/692588/3732444 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Myrtle Beach
- Inventory number
- BH 42594 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 29, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- February 17, 2013: New photo from Joseph Hinson
- November 29, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added refined build date & refined history section.
- November 29, 2012: New Street View added by John Marvig
- November 29, 2012: Updated by Joseph Hinson: Edited to show that railroad is currently shut down.
- May 21, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood