US15 Lake Marion Bridge
Photo taken by Andrew Penik
BH Photo #342262
This was the original bridge crossing Lake Marion for vehicular traffic prior to the construction of the twin-span Francis Marion Memorial Bridge and WJ Gooding Memorial Bridge for Interstate 95 downstream.
- Steel stringer bridge over Lake Marion on US 15 (old alignment)
- Santee, Clarendon County, South Carolina, and Orangeburg County, South Carolina
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- US Coast Guard has requested that this bridge be removed due to the fact that the piers don't align with the new Francis Marion Bridge and WJ Gooding Bridge, thus creating a navigation hazard. SCDOT has sold the structure to a private owner, who is looking to restore part of the bridge in a new location, funding permitting. The bridge will be demolished by 2020 if not relocated.
- Built 1946; closed 2018, currently awaiting relocation, may be demolished by 2020 if not relocated
- Steel stringer
Length of largest span: 120.1 ft.
Total length: 5,347.4 ft. (1.0 mi.)
Deck width: 25.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Old Lake Marion Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.50576, -80.45312 (decimal degrees)
33°30'21" N, 80°27'11" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/550794/3707491 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Saint Paul
- Inventory numbers
- SC 0142001500100 (South Carolina bridge number)
BH 70124 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 9, 2020: New photo from Andrew Penik
- March 30, 2018: New Street View added by Amanda
- December 15, 2017: New photo from Andrew Penik
- November 24, 2015: Added by Andrew Penik