Lake Secession Dam
The dam, owned by the City of Abbeville, was constructed from 1933 to 1940, initially as a private venture and completed by the City of Abbeville as a WPA project. There is ample information on the dam, but information on the bridge is impossible to find. From what I can tell, was added after the completion of the dam. It initially carried highway S-1-72, but the bridge has been replaced with an independent structure downstream & the original bridge on the dam, abandoned. Due to security & safety reasons, the public is no longer allowed on the bridge/dam.
- Bridge over Rocky River/Lake Secession on Formerly S-1-72
- Abbeville County, South Carolina
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Bridge built on top of dam sometime after completion of dam and has since been abandoned.
- - Works Progress Administration
- Steel stringer
- Also called
- Rocky River Dam
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.25759, -82.60948 (decimal degrees)
34°15'27" N, 82°36'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/351810/3791889 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- HAER SC-5
BH 57616 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 23, 2013: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- August 15, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added categories "Dam", "HAER documented"