Photo taken by Douglas Butler in March 2013
BH Photo #285133
The Washington Bridge was built in 1930 to replace an 1885 swing bridge at this site. In 1959, it was converted for use as part of the newly designated I-195 but was soon found inadequate of bearing the traffic load. As a result, a companion bridge was built to the north in 1968 to carry westbound traffic. It was at this time that the bascule span over the Seekonk River was fixed shut. Beginning in 2007, RIDOT constructed a new bridge for the eastbound lanes of I-195 between the 1930 bridge and the 1968 bridge, necessitating the demolition of the northern half of the 1930 span. The southern half has been undergoing conversion to a linear park and is scheduled to re-open to pedestrians and bicycles in 2015.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Seekonk River on Washington Bridge Linear Park
- Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island
- Built 1930; draw span fixed 1968; north half demolished 2008; south half re-opening as a linear park 2015
- - Carl L. Otto (architect)
- Clarence W. Hudson of New York City, New York (engineer)
- Open spandrel arch with granite facing on outer arches; deck plate girder bascule span over Seekonk River
Length of largest span: 124.0 ft.
Total length: 1,671.0 ft.
Deck width: 73.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.81908, -71.38712 (decimal degrees)
41°49'09" N, 71°23'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/301739/4632443 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- RI 2000 (Rhode Island bridge number)
BH 61307 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 07/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 79.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- January 11, 2017: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- December 16, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- June 27, 2015: New Street View added by Ian Martin
- July 26, 2014: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- June 10, 2014: Added by Douglas Butler