Arnold Mills Bridge
Sneech Pond Road Bridge
This bridge is now closed. It appears that the deck needs to be rebuilt as the framing looks to be in rather nice shape for it's age.
Photo taken by Gary H Phillips in February 2010
BH Photo #155846
Bridge deck appears to need to be restored.
The Abbott Run Pony Bridges
Excerpted by C. Gehman from "Historic Highway Bridges of Rhode Island
The flood of February 1886 destroyed many bridges in the town of Cumberland.The town contracted with Boston Bridge Works to provide four new bridges across Abbott Run for $22,000. Three of them remain: The Arnold Mills Bridge (the only one with a sidewalk), Howard Road Bridge, and Rawson Road Bridge. Additionally, a plate-girder bridge spanning a mill tailrace was erected west of the pony truss on Rawson Road. This is possibly the earliest Rhode Island use of metal beams as the primary bridge structure.
- Pony truss bridge over Abbott Run on Sneech Pond Road in Cumberland
- Cumberland, Providence County, Rhode Island
- Appears to be open to pedestrians
- Built 1886; rehabilitated 1985
- - Boston Bridge Works of Boston, Massachusetts
- Riveted, 5-panel Pratt pony truss
Span length: 62.0 ft.
Total length: 62.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.4 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Sneech Pond Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.97961, -71.39314 (decimal degrees)
41°58'47" N, 71°23'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/301736/4650282 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- RI 3010 (Rhode Island bridge number)
BH 31956 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/2012)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 20.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2008)
- August 22, 2014: Essay added by Chester Gehman
- August 22, 2014: New Street View added by Luke
- August 21, 2014: Updated by Chester Gehman: Changed bridge name to that used by h'way dept.
- February 21, 2010: Updated by Gary H Phillips: Bridge is now closed to traffic but is still in place
- Gary H Phillips - gary [at] ghpassociates [dot] com
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com