Mount Hope Bridge
Photo taken by Wayne Grodkiewicz
BH Photo #108766
The bridge was recognized as 1929 "Most Beautiful Steel Bridge" in Class A by the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC).
- Suspension bridge over Mount Hope Bay on RI 114 in Bristol
- Bristol, Newport County, Rhode Island
- Open to traffic
- Built 1929 by the McClintic-Marshall Co.; rehabilitated 1985
- - David B. Steinman of New York, New York (Engineer)
- Holton D. Robinson of Massena, New York (Engineer)
- McClintic-Marshall Co. of Chicago, Illinois & Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Robinson & Steinman of New York, New York (Engineering Firm)
- William G. Grove (Chief Engineer For Robinson and Steinman)
- Wire suspension
Length of largest span: 1,200.2 ft.
Total length: 5,050.1 ft. (1.0 mi.)
Deck width: 26.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 31, 1976
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.64000, -71.25833 (decimal degrees)
41°38'24" N, 71°15'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/311913/4612270 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 76000038 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
RI 3000 (Rhode Island bridge number)
BH 31889 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 49 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 21, 2019: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added William G. Grove as Chief Engineer, per NRHP Nomination.
- December 15, 2015: Updated by Robert Elder: Removed Bristol County, MA momentarily until we can get clarification.
- April 7, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- October 18, 2014: New photos from Patrick S. O'Donnell
- March 1, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- June 11, 2012: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- December 4, 2006: Posted photo from Wayne Grodkiewicz
- Wayne Grodkiewicz - WGrodkiewi [at] aol [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Patrick S. O'Donnell - 1 [dot] 991km [at] comcast [dot] net
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com