Meadowview Drive Bridge
Photo From PennDOT
BH Photo #204486
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The single span, 42'-long, metal Pratt pony truss bridge built ca. 1890 is supported on stone abutments. The truss is composed of built-up compression members and eye bar and rod tension members. It is pin connected with the exception of cast iron connecting pieces at the upper chord-end post connections, a detail associated with Wrought Iron Bridge Co. pony truss bridges. U-shaped hangers support rolled section floorbeams carrying steel stringers and an open steel grid deck placed ca. 1980. Original railings have been lost and replaced by W-beam guide railings. The bridge is a historically and technologically significant example of its type/design by an important late 19th century fabricator. The Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, OH, was among the best known and most successful builders to establish a national market for its bridges. The company was very active in York County during the last two decades of the 19th century.
- Pratt pony truss bridge over North Branch Bermudian Creek on PA 4038 (Meadowview Drive)
- York County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Future prospects
- Bridge to be relocated and preserved in Spring/Summer 2014 near 2480 West Canal Road, Dover, PA 17315 (Exact coordinates: 39.99415 -76.84985
- Built 1890. Possibly Rehabilitated/Moved 1930.
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pin-connected Pratt pony truss; cast and wrought iron
Length of largest span: 38.1 ft.
Total length: 42.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.05694, -77.06278 (decimal degrees)
40°03'25" N, 77°03'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/324061/4436116 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 4038 0060 0387 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 38013 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 45787 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2013)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 21.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 19, 2018: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- March 4, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added planned relocation date and location.
- September 14, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
- May 16, 2013: New photos from Jodi Christman
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- July 19, 2011: New photos from Nathan Holth
- August 2, 2010: Added by Nathan Holth