-- Historic American Buildings Survey
In the most western part of Dover Township about 2.5 miles south of Wellsville, a covered bridge once crossed the Conewago Creek on Harmony Grove Road. It crossed downstream from Detters Mill, a stone grist mill, which was built by George Sheffer in 1830.
This covered bridge was built about 1815 with a gable roof. This bridge was made of heavy timbers, and originally was sheathed by clapboards. With multiple kingpost truss framing and the use of large Burr Arches this wooden structure was very hearty.
As a two-span bridge (a pier in the middle separated the two spans) with two Burr arches this old bridge is most interesting. A double-span covered bridge was not common in York County.
Some believe famed master bridge builder Theodore Burr of Connecticut, may have built this bridge as he had constructed several bridges in this part of Pennsylvania.
Measuring 296 feet 11 inches by 21 feet 9 inches, it was noted as one of the longest remaining covered wooden bridges in the state of Pennsylvania before its collapse in 1965. Sadly, this bridge was never preserved as a landmark.
• Prowell, George R., A History of York County, Pennsylvania. 1907.
• Mingus, Scott, Rebels Ride by Detters Mill in Dover Township,www.YorkBog.com, January 8, 2009 http://www.yorkblog.com/cannonball/2009/01/rebels-ride-by-de...
• The Greater Dover Historical Society, Inc., http://www.gdhspa.org/DettersMillBridge.htm