Heritage Rail Trail - Pleasant Valley Road Overpass
Bridge 182+42, Northern Central Railway, Shrewsbury Twp., PA, Near Town Of Railroad
Photo posted to Wikipedia by user Purple pirouette
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
View this photo at Wikimedia Commons
BH Photo #278543
The stone arch was built in 1871 by the Northern Central Railway when the line was double tracked. It has been NR-listed as a historically significant example of its type/design by the Railroad Resources of York County Multiple Property Documentation (NR-listed 5/4/95).
- Closed-spandrel brick-and-limestone arch bridge over Pleasant Valley Road (SR 616) on Heritage Rail Trail
- York County, Pennsylvania
- Open to bicyclists, horseback, and pedestrians on trail side. The rail is now home to the Steam into History Excursions on the weekends from April to October.
- Built in 1871 by Northern Central Railway, later Pennsylvania Railroad; abandoned to rail service 1972, acquired by county for rail and rail trail
- - Northern Central Railway (NCRY)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Stone, closed-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 27.9 ft.
Total length: 32.2 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 4, 1995
- Also called
- Northern Central Railway Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.77757, -76.72351 (decimal degrees)
39°46'39" N, 76°43'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/352401/4404490 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Glen Rock
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 0616 0020 0000 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 50846 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 4, 2018: New photos from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- March 13, 2014: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added the Steam into History status
- March 9, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- August 19, 2013: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added category "HAER documented"
- January 6, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added build date, description and RR
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Daniel Hopkins - chimera [at] clovermail [dot] net