New Gilbert Bridge
Looking upstream, north side (Bishop Road)
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in May 2009
BH Photo #141381
Original Bridge is still possibly for sale: http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdCulturalResour...
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Engineering District 8-0, is currently seeking a party to acquire The Gilbert Road/Hall Estates Bridge. The Gilbert Road/Hall Estates Bridge is a single span Pratt Truss that crosses the Yellow Breeches Creek along T-892 in Upper Allen and Monaghan Townships, in Cumberland and York Counties, Pennsylvania. The bridge was commissioned by the Cumberland and York County Commissioners and was built in 1900 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton,Ohio. The Hall Estates Bridge is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission for its architectural significance as an excellent example of a Pratt Truss bridge.
Federal Law stipulates that the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) can assist with moving the bridge to a new location, but FHWA's participation cannot exceed the costs of demolition. The new owner will be responsible for costs associated with the rehabilitation and future maintenance of the bridge. These stipulations will more than likely be required in a restrictive covenant to which the new owner must agree.
If you, or your organization, is interested in assuming ownership of the historic bridge, please
contact William Scott of Benatec Associates at 717-901-7055 or by email at email@example.com.
The bridge is 18 feet wide and 104 feet long.
- Lost through truss bridge over Yellow Breeches Creek on TR 892 (Bishop Road)
- York County, Pennsylvania, and Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- replaced by a concrete span
- Built 1899 by Wrought Iron Bridge Co.
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pratt through truss
Span length: 103.0 ft.
Total length: 103.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 5, 1989
- Also called
- Hall Estate Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.15359, -76.98116 (decimal degrees)
40°09'13" N, 76°58'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/331262/4446685 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 7219 0892 3248 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
NRHP 89000355 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
PANBI 44918 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31865 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2016)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 99 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected GPS
- November 20, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: added info to purchase bridge
- November 10, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman
- June 14, 2009: Updated by Joshua Collins: status, overview
- June 14, 2009: New photos from Jodi Christman