Old Forge Bridge
Old Forge Bridge facing East
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in February 2009
BH Photo #133839
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The single span, 114'-long, pin-connected, Pratt thru truss bridge built in 1887 is supported on stone abutments that have been repaired and coated with concrete. The top chords and verticals are patented Phoenix column sections, with eyebars and rods for the pin-connected tension members. Cast iron connecting pieces are used for the compression fitting Phoenix column section members. The floorbeams, stringers, and open steel grid deck were replaced ca. 1975, but the U-shaped hanger floorbeam connections were not changed. The bridge has portal bracing with decorative brackets and builders plaque. The bridge was fabricated by the Phoenix Bridge Co. of Phoenixville, PA, and erected by their agents Dean & Westbrook of New York. The company was instrumental in refining and popularizing metal truss bridge technology during the last half of the 19th century. The Phoenix column, patented in 1861, was one of the first successful attempts to substitute built-up wrought iron sections for cast iron for use with compression members. Truss bridges with Phoenix column members were used widely by railroads through the mid 1880s and for highway applications through the mid 1890s. It is mostly the later highway examples, such as this 1887 bridge, that have survived in small numbers in Pennsylvania. The bridge is historically and technologically distinguished.
- Through truss bridge over Yellow Breeches Creek on TR 968 (Sheepford Road)
- York County, Pennsylvania, and Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1887; rehabilitated ca. 1975
- - Dean & Westbrook of New York, New York
- Phoenix Bridge Co. of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
- Pratt through truss; cast and wrought iron
Span length: 113.9 ft.
Total length: 113.9 ft.
Deck width: 14.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.18497, -76.91219 (decimal degrees)
40°11'06" N, 76°54'44" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/337211/4450040 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 7208 0968 3257 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 38118 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31878 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 20.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 18, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- June 28, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- September 17, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman
- September 11, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Updated map
- February 21, 2009: New photos from Jodi Christman