Bowers Bridge Road Bridge
Bowers Bridge Road
I went to photograph today and discovered it is gone.
BH Photo #191269
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The single span, 92'-long, pin-connected metal Pratt thru truss bridge built in 1889 is supported on stone abutments. The truss is composed of built-up compression members and eye bar tension members. The hangers in the end panels, originally double-looped, have been replaced by single-looped hangers. Rolled section floorbeams carry steel stringers and an open steel grid deck placed in 1954. Earlier railings have been replaced by channel section railings. The alterations have resulted in some loss of original fabric, but the bridge retains over all integrity of original design. The bridge is a historically and technologically significant example of its type/design by an important late-19th-century fabricator. The Wrought Iron Bridge Co. was among the best known and most successful bridge fabricators to market and popularize the pin-connected truss designs for highway applications.
- Lost through truss bridge over Little Conewago Creek on Bowers Bridge Road
- York County, Pennsylvania
- Repalced by concrete slab
- Built 1889 by Wrought Iron Bridge Co.; rehabilitated 1954
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pinned Pratt through truss
Span length: 91.9 ft.
Total length: 91.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.08759, -76.72736 (decimal degrees)
40°05'15" N, 76°43'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/352737/4438909 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- York Haven
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 7207 0940 3193 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 46224 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31857 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2014)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Excellent (9 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 95.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- November 1, 2011: Updated by Tony Dillon: Fixed status
- December 31, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Bridge has been replaced :-(
- October 30, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected GPS Coords