Seitzville Road Bridge
Seitzville Road Bridge
Photo taken by Alexander D. Mitchell IV in November 2013
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 1 span, 42'-long, reinforced concrete deck arch bridge built in 1910 has paneled spandrels and parapets curved to match the profile of the arch. The reinforced concrete arch bridge technology was introduced in Pennsylvania during the first decade of the 20th century, and by the 1910s was increasingly common. This 1910 deck arch bridge is the among the oldest extant examples in the region, and the oldest of at least 20 examples from 1910 to 1929 in York County. It was designed by county engineer W. R. Smith and built by contractors Nelson-Merydith Co. of Chambersburg, a company noteworthy in the region for its early use of reinforced concrete. The bridge is individually distinguished by its technology and history. It is also located in a potential historic district and is contributing.
- Concrete arch bridge over South Branch Codorus Creek on Seitzville Road
- York County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1910
- - Nelson-Merydith Co. of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania (Contractor)
- W.R. Smith. Jr. (Engineer)
- Closed-spandrel arch, reinforced concrete
Length of largest span: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 42.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.82951, -76.76117 (decimal degrees)
39°49'46" N, 76°45'40" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/349289/4410318 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Seven Valleys
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 7203 0525 3123 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 38084 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31882 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 07/2009)
- Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 79.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- November 10, 2013: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Concrete inset railing"
- November 10, 2013: New photos from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- February 21, 2011: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Corrected GPS
- Daniel Hopkins - chimera [at] clovermail [dot] net
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV