Conewago Creek Bridge
Birdseye View of Conewago Creek Bridges
Captured on 10/31/10 (before the maps were updated with photos of new concrete slab bridges)
BH Photo #184168
There were two truss bridges on this road that crossed a river by way of an island. Both were demolished and replaced with a slab.
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The single span, 113'-long, pin-connected metal Pratt thru truss bridge built in 1889 is supported on stone abutments. The truss is composed of built-up compression members and eye bar tension members. It has double-looped floorbeam hangers in the end panels, a trademark of Wrought Iron Bridge Co. bridges. Rolled section floorbeams carry steel stringers and an open steel grid deck placed in 1969. Earlier railings have been lost and replaced by W-beam guide railings. The bridge is a historically and technologically significant example of its type/design by an important late-19th-century fabricator. The Wrought Iron Bridge Co. was among the best known and most successful bridge fabricators to market and popularize the pin-connected truss designs for highway applications.
- Through truss bridge over Conewago Creek on PA 4051
- York County, Pennsylvania
- Demolished and replaced with a slab of concrete.
- Built 1889 by Wrought Iron Bridge Co.
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pratt through truss
Span length: 113.9 ft.
Total length: 113.9 ft.
Deck width: 15.5 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.96403, -76.95568 (decimal degrees)
39°57'50" N, 76°57'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/332970/4425595 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 4051 0120 0000 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 31863 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- November 5, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman
- October 31, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman
- May 17, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Bridge has been demolished and replaced.