On September 19, 1836, the County of Wayne agreed to spent $400 to build a bridge over the West Branch of the Lackawaxen, which became known as the Main Street Bridge. This wooden span was rebuilt in 1850 and in 1866. Sidewalks were added in 1866. An iron bridge replaced it in1874, at a cost of $3,500. It had arching railings on each side, and as a lane divider in the middle. This span lasted until 1902 when an ice jam wrecked it. Temporary wooden bridges were hurriedly constructed at 4th Street and on Main Street. The Main Street Bridge was still being plucked from the river in July. An ice jam in December damaged the temporary wooden span, temporarily closing it to traffic. A repeat performance struck again in an ice jam in February 1943. The ice also damaged the temporary 4th Street span.